Thursday, September 11, 2014

post 3 Edm310 class blog Melissa Keeler

Me and my son both have Blue shirts on, Blonde hair, Blue eyes, and similar smiles
How can we provide meaningful feedback to our peers? This can be a very delicate subject. One must not be too harsh but problems do need to be brought to the peer's attention. After watching the the videos and the power point presentation I have a much better understanding of how to effectively communicate issues with my peers. Three important steps kept jumping out at me throughout all of the information. Compliment, Suggest, and Correct. I firmly believe that if all of us would stop and think of these three things there will be much less confusion and hurt feelings. It is hard to hurt someone's feelings when you point out the positives that they did achieve as well as some of the mistakes. When pointing out a mistake, be specific about what or why it is a mistake. Make suggestions on how to possibly rectify the situation. Finally, correct the peer again be clear and specific. Most of all BE POSITIVE! If a student gets discouraged by negative feedback they will lose the desire to learn.


Watching the video called Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes, I couldn't help but to see a little bit of myself in a couple of the students' enactments. Jean the Generalizer is a familiar face. I tend to be vague at times as to what I am talking about and I need to keep a constant watch on myself to NOT do this. Another of my favorite renditions was Off-task Oliver, guilty again. I am sure each of us can go through and pick out a few we need to work on. Whatever William is a wide spread problem and tough to handle sometimes. I would try to engage a whatever William by being more specific with my suggestions and corrections.



SOURCES- What is Peer Editing?
Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial- Adriana Zardini
Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes

1 comment:

  1. "I couldn't help but to see a little bit of myself in a couple of the students' enactments."
    I think we can all relate to that!

    Be sure to include links to the resources/videos you are referencing.

    ReplyDelete