Sunday, September 14, 2014

EDM310 classblog Project#15 Search Engines

self portrait in the car. I have long Blonde hair and Blue eyes, wearing a Blue tank top


Wolfram Alpha- This is a computational knowledge engine. It is very specific on searches and I noticed that when I typed in one word (general) searches like "dogs", it does not bring up a list of links like Google. Instead it gives me information on different sizes of dogs, litter sizes, and possible times a bitch can throw a litter. After showing me that information it gives suggestions on how to make my search more specific. The examples button is wonderful. I will use this site for specific searches and to help me turn a general topic into a specific topic.

Torrentz- This search engine is specifically designed for finding and downloading media files like movies, music, and T.V. shows. It is free and easy to use. When I type in a search (Metallica) a list of albums Metallica has put out comes up long with single songs. When I type in a search that is more general like Hell's Kitchen, it gives me a list of the T.V. series (which I did not know about), songs with that name, and the movie I was searching for. I use this engine for downloading music, movies and T.V. series'. This site works by using other people's files to create a whole product, it is free because you share whatever information you may have that they may want. It is a little spooky to me sharing files and all but I have not had any problems yet.

Go.com- This is a family friendly search engine. It is owned by the Walt Disney Company so it can be a trusted reliable source. It is very controlled as far as how I was able to search. The topics were set up on the page as picture tabs with selected information under the pictures. When I click on a tab, I can navigate through the information that is given. There is not a search bar to type anything in with, which is helpful in keeping inquiring minds from finding unwanted or inappropriate information. I will use this site to help further teach my son how to navigate the web. I will also use it as a sounding board. I will type in my topic and see if my information is present on their page or not. If it is not I may want to re-think or re-write lesson plan.

Kompass- This is a Business search engine. It finds businesses and tells you about them. I typed in Uniquely Natural and it brought up 27 companies that put out natural and unique products. Very interesting. I will use this site for finding new and upcoming companies to invest in on day-trading adventures.

LexisNexis- This is a search engine that is strictly directed in the direction of Law. It accesses all public records, newspapers, and hospital records. It is extremely specific, when you use this engine be sure and have your information in front of you because it asks for specifics in order for you to find information. I did a general search about child custody. It brought up a lot of information. Some of it was explaining the actual laws. Some of the information was actual court cases. A few newspaper articles came up but it was mainly court cases and laws pertaining to child custody. I will use this site to keep up with the different laws about education because they continuously change. With that said this will be a great tool for my continued learning after college.

All the Internet- This search engine searches most of the other more popular search engines all at once for you. It works like the typical search engine, I typed in "Cardinal" in the search bar and it produced a list of URL's. The list was broken down into separate sections which made it easier to navigate through the information. The sections were: sports, religion, and nature. They were not labeled as such but the main topic was present in each of the URL's. I will add this one to my PLN to look up general topics for research papers, lesson ideas, and personal research.

IxQuick- This search engine searches more than ten of the top search engines in total anonymity. This will be a good search engine to use in every day life as well. We are tracked enough, why be tracked when I am just trying to search for information? I did a general search and typed in the word bear. It produced a list of URL's in the same format as Google. It produced a variety of information from the Chicago Bears football team to a restaurant to the Black Bear in nature. I will use this engine for general research, especially if I am on a public computer.

Bing- This search engine is a general-type search engine very similar to Google. I typed in perfume and it gave me a list of URL's to stores that sell perfume. Finally when I got to the third page I began to see the definition of perfume, how perfume is made, etc. I have used this engine in the past and will use it again for general research.







No comments:

Post a Comment