Thursday, September 11, 2014

Post 2 Edm 310classblog Melissa Keeler

Me and my pet bird Methuselah who is a rescued Cardinal

In video 1 Mr. Dancealot, The teacher is not teaching effectively at all! The author clearly shows the teacher reading off of a power point presentation and then doing the steps but he is behind a desk so the students can not see his feet and legs. When a student tries to get up and attempt the steps, the teacher immediately ridicules the student and tells him to be seated. The teacher never paired the students up to let them attempt the steps. When the final comes up the teacher announces the test will be open notebook and book implying it is written. When the students show up the teacher is there with music and a camera. The students are asked to pair up and dance. All of them have their hands full with books and notes, they do not know how to perform the steps or even what dance goes with the music that is playing. I agree with the author's conclusion because the teacher failed to teach his students, he merely read the material. He did not present the material so the students could see the steps, practice the steps, or learn what music went with what dance.


In video 2 Teaching in the 21st Century by Kevin Roberts, Roberts brings to light that if information is so readily available then what is the teacher there for? We are there to help filter the information students are receiving through technologies such as Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter. We are there to help them evaluate and understand the information as well as to help them remember it. We are there to teach the students how to create presentations, videos, and pod casts to name a few of the items. Roberts also encourages the use of cellphones, ipads, and laptops in class saying that these are today's tools not paper and pencil. I have to agree with Roberts Technology has taken over in all aspects of life. In order to function properly in life our students must learn how to properly utilize these tools. We as educators must also learn how to use these newer tools to effectively teach. I know this will affect me greatly as an educator because I will be learning from and with my students.


In video 3 The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler, the question Why does the networked student even need a teacher? is asked. My answer is: To guide the student through the vast amounts of information available. To teach students how to use the tools of today ipod, mp3,laptop and the different programs such as Power point, Excell, and Microsoft Office to name a few. Without teachers to teach and guide the students, the information can be inaccessible or useless.


In video 4 Harness your Student's Digital Smarts by Vicki Davis, The main Thesis is- The more connected you are, the more and faster you will learn. Vicki actively uses technology to teach and learn from her students at the same time. I agree with Vicki especially about having to "know everything about a subject in order to teach it." I strongly agree with her idea that we as teachers can actively learn along with our students.


In video 5 Who's Ahead in the Learning Race? by John H. Strange, The title is the question. The answer is the Elementary students. I am an undergrad and I am sadly far behind however, I am doing my best to catch up and LEARN!


In video 6 Flipping the Classroom author is unknown to me, I learned about flipping. I have never heard of this method before but I feel it is a great idea! I think it could be very useful as an educator. It will save time in the classroom and that extra time can be used to address any issues or problems the students may have. In a regular class setting the classroom time is eaten up with the instruction and little time is left for questions or practice. It will also engage the student and get them more interested in the subject that is being flipped, in the video it was math.


In video 7 Bringing the Locker Room into the Classroom by Craig N. Owens, I learned the technique of showing the students the steps of learning History and I plan on using it. This will ensure that my students will not be blindly trying to grasp at straws. I also like the interactive approach rather than the I teach you/You learn approach. I love to learn and being able to learn from a student is a special and exciting moment.





No comments:

Post a Comment