Thursday, October 23, 2014

Blog post 10 EDM310 classblog Melissa Keeler

snail in ashtray on campus

Our Driving question for this blog was What can we learn from Mrs. Cassidy? I would like to answer with another question. Is there anything we can not learn from Mrs. Kathy Cassidy? A wonderful educator obviously dedicated to her job and even more importantly to her students.

The first video is titled First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class It is an itroduction to Ms. Cassidy and her class. They are in Moose Jaw Canada and use technology regularly in the class room. Her students are in First grade which is just super impressive to me. In the video the students show and explain how they use their blogs, videos, and their Nintendo DS systems which I know is a wonderful treat as my own son is in second grade and loves his. I will have to check out Nintendo dog, I did not know about the program which sounds like it can be very educational as well as collaborative. The students also remind us of proper blogging etiquette like being positive rather than negative in your feedback.

In the videoInterview with Kathy Cassidy part 1 We get to know Kathy as a person and educator. She got involved with technology 10 years ago because 5 computers were on her school campus and not being used. She started through beginning a web page, then blogging, now she has moved on to twitter and facebook. She uses all of these as well as Nintendo DS systems to engage her first grade students in the active and effective use of today's tools for education. As far as the parents and students go, her techniques are very welcome. Parents can log on at any time and see their child's work and progress. The students like it because technology is part of their lives and they appreciate not having to leave it at the door when they come into school. Faculty has not been discouraging however, it sounds like some of them are not quite ready for the necessary transition. I say necessary transition because it truly is necessary for us as educators to make the switch. Maybe not completely but I do feel that our children need to know how to use the technology available to them. Kathy also suggests at the end to try and get on some social networks and get comfortable with technology if you are not already.

the videoInterview with Kathy Cassidy Part 2 Kathy continues to give us advice on ways to become comfortable with technology. She suggests to start in an area you are interested in. If writing is your thing, try blogging. If video is more your style give youtube a try. She also encourages us to stick with twitter because at first it will feel pointless but after a length of time you will connect with like-minded people and be able to share meaningful ideas with them. I was also reminded that PLN's are not only for your own personal learning but also to share knowledge you have and help others learn as well.

The videoInterview with Kathy Cassidy part 3 Is a question and answer session with Kathy and the EDM310 students. The first question that was asked was How often did she use blogging in her class? She said presently about once a week as they do it as a collaborative group once a week. Kathy then offered an idea for how P.E. educators could use technology saying that if there was a cancellation or time change how much easier and effective a mass text, email, or a post to a team blog would be rather than trying to hunt down each student or using the P.A. system (which if memory serves me correctly can be fuzzy at best). Another question was asked pertaining to the possibility of cheating. This was cleared up right away with Kathy pointing out that the forms of information today are collaborative rather than singular. Chances are no two people are going to think, feel, or write exactly the same so the possibility of cheating is pretty much eliminated. Kathy points out that facebook can be an effective tool as long as the students create a separate account only for school. A very good question came up. How do you protect your students? You want to protect them and what they see. This can effectively be done. Students are taught never to use last names or pictures of themselves. They are also taught proper internet etiquette. Finally you can create a safe hub for your students with a classroom page full of sites you have hand picked, and just in case teach the students how to get out of an uh-oh page if it pops up accidentally. Kathy tells us that she tries to use technology in a productive way as well as socially but less socially. I am so jealous of her back yard! I grew up in North Western Pennsylvania just south of Erie in the snow belt. It has been 15 years since I have seen snow like that.

I have learned that if you are dedicated to your students you can accomplish great and many things. Kathy Cassidy is an inspirational person and educator. If I can do just a small amount of the things she has done I will be happy. I plan on using cell phones in my class for my students to look up information as I will be teaching upper level history and most upper level students have or have access to a smart phone. I would like to think I could get a class blog going for my students to keep them informed and promote collaboration. The impediments I see are the availability of computers in every public school in the state I will be working in Mississippi. Some of the schools do not have but a few computers and are not readily offered for students to use. That is why I am going to stress the use of their phones. The benefits of using technology are endless. The efficiency is what I keep seeing. The youth of today are already plugged in, why not join them?

3 comments:

  1. I hope you get computers!

    Thorough. Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa, I too agree that Ms. Cassidy is a wonderful woman who has a desire to teach her students new things. Watching these videos was very inspirational to me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, I agree with you they technology is there why not join them. Make the smartphones that pretty much every child over the age of 11 has useful and educational. I really enjoyed reading your blog post and it seems that you effectively covered all of the major points. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete